What’s the most life-changing book you have ever read?
During the last few years, I have read many books which have helped my growth and development.
The Four Agreements are based on ancients Toltec wisdom and offer a simple but powerful code of conduct and set of principles to live your life by.
When I started to apply the Four Agreements a few years ago, they certainly helped me move forward in my life and opened up new ways of living and being.
Here is a summary of the Four Agreements from the book:-
1. Be Impeccable With Your Word
– Speak with integrity.
– Say only what you mean.
– Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others.
– Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
2. Don’t Take Anything Personally
– Nothing others do is because of you.
– What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream.
– When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
3. Don’t Make Assumptions
– Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want.
– Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama.
– With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.
4. Always Do Your Best
– Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick.
– Under any circumstance, simply do your best and you will avoid self-judgement, self-abuse and regret.
The Way Forward
Applying even just two of the above Four Agreements will have a profound impact on your life.