In years to come, how will you remember 10/10/10?
Today is a very special day – 10th October 2010.
There has been much written about today’s date – 10/10/10.
Various cultures see the number ten as lucky – and today is one of the busiest days for weddings around the world.
Many couples are getting married and tying the knot today expecting this day to bring much love, happiness and prosperity.
Today also sees thousands of events around the world to remind people about the impact of global warming and the importance of doing something about it.
What are you doing today to mark this historic date?
This morning at ten o’clock, I did a special meditation – and 10.10.10 came and went in a state of calmness and bliss. And that’s how I will always remember it.
How will you remember this special day?
Later on this afternoon, I shall be off to Regents Park near my home in central London where like minded people are coming together for a peace meditation.
Even nature has obliged by giving us a clear sunny and warm day!
So that’s 10/10/10 – special memories of a special day.
How do you remember your special moments in your life?
We all have those life-defining moments in time which we will always remember – a bit like how everyone used to remember where they were and what they were doing when JFK was shot.
That was a long time ago – maybe the modern equivalent of our turbulent times is the moment when they first heard of 9/11 in the USA or 7/7 in the UK.
We also have those personal life-defining moments that impact us deeply or dramatically change the course of our lives.
Here are some of the moments in my life I shall always remember:-
1. Getting a phone call from my mother at 1am on a Sunday night telling me that my father had just passed away. Life was never the same again.
2. Being in the room next door when a friend’s son was born, hearing his first cry and seeing him twenty minutes later, looking as if he belonged in this world and had always been around.
3. Almost choking when my ex-wife told me in a Chinese restaurant that she no longer had the feelings for me that she thought she ought to have.
4. Watching the live TV images on 9/11 at a hairdresser in the City of London and seeing the twin towers come down in NYC.
5. And my favourite – experiencing unconditional love for the first time in an Indian orphanage which literally changed my life forever.
The point is that such memories and defining moments is what makes our life what it is.
On this special day of 10/10/10, which brings with it a timely reminder to all of us to cultivate and care for our planet, I would like to remind you once again that everyday and every moment is special.
Just look at all the miracles happening around you!
Always remember to live your life as if everything is a miracle.
There is much to love and admire in our world – you just have to be present to these things.
For instance, I have visited some amazing places, met some incredibly generous and loving people and experienced kindness and nobility beyond belief. And such experiences are always there for everyone.
Also, you don’t even need to have anything special happening for you to experience each moment in its fullness.
You can make every moment special just by being present to it and being mindful about what you are doing or not doing.
You too can get to experience life in its fullness – just be open to what each day and each moment brings.
To end this special post for 10/10/10, here are some ideas for you reflect on and apply in your life from today:-
1. We are all here only for a limited period of time so make the most of it.
2. There is more to life than accumulating more stuff so stop this mad drive towards having more.
3. Ultimately, we all want the same thing – happiness and contentment. Aim for that, rather than material and superficial success.
4. Global warming is happening, no matter what the cause and we have to do something about it. Do your own bit today and everyday.
5. If peace is to happen in the world, it’s up to each one of us. Do your bit to bring peace in your own world.
“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s need, but not every man’s greed“ – Gandhi
Let this day be the day you begin to review your life and change your priorities. Make today an extra-special day in your life.
Let 10/10/10 be the day you begin to make each day extra-special:-)Image courtesy of Greenpeace Finland